Inicio » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Own volume in a mix

Own volume in a mix

kmoon235 Publicado el 22 ene 2017 #22
kmoon235
SUPPORTER
Publicaciones: 66
Registrado: 8 oct 2016
As a "vintage" player I never dealt with this stuff until the Loops. I really appreciate the information presented here.
I also find that when I listen to a track in my studio it may sound fine. However, not so when listening on my iPad-nothing sounds too good there. I have taken the approach that if I like it in my studio then it's fine. Given my lack of skills, or total lack, it will never be at a level of those with these skills. Sooooooo, if I like it (in my studio) then fine with me and just keep trying to learn. Discussions like these are very helpful to me. Thanks.
keith
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visitar Tienda
kimbo Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #23
kimbo
Miembro
Publicaciones: 292
Registrado: 8 abr 2014
as an aside.......
kick drum and bass very often clash frequency wise, but if you set up a noise gate with the kick signal used as a trigger and the bass put through a side chain so its reinforced by a few dbs when the gate opens (i.e. triggered by the attack of the kick) the effect is to "tighten" the attack of the bass. so even though they occupy the same frequencies, the bass adds "colour" to the kick and the kick adds attack to the bass. i use this setup quite a lot live....makes the band sound like they know what they're doing! (we don't!) :D
mpointon Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #24
mpointon
Miembro
Publicaciones: 522
Registrado: 27 feb 2015
kimbo wrote:
as an aside.......
kick drum and bass very often clash frequency wise, but if you set up a noise gate with the kick signal used as a trigger and the bass put through a side chain so its reinforced by a few dbs when the gate opens (i.e. triggered by the attack of the kick) the effect is to "tighten" the attack of the bass. so even though they occupy the same frequencies, the bass adds "colour" to the kick and the kick adds attack to the bass. i use this setup quite a lot live....makes the band sound like they know what they're doing! (we don't!) :D


Absolutely - side-chaining is something I'm desperate to figure out as it's a common technique used with overheads to duck them in and out. I've had a couple of goes with it in Reaper but so far not had much joy. I must work on that.
kimbo Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #25
kimbo
Miembro
Publicaciones: 292
Registrado: 8 abr 2014
Try using a really fast attack (open) and slow the closure using a soft knee. This will sound more natural. Rather than just increasing dbs you can also make it trigger a slightly different eq on the signal, also further defining the colour of the boosted signal.
In logic you can even look ahead, so the attack is instantaneous!
kimbo Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #26
kimbo
Miembro
Publicaciones: 292
Registrado: 8 abr 2014
....nearly forgot. The same side chain setup can be used to "duck" a signal. ......so if a gate is set to open for say a vocal part....the side chained signal, i.e. The rest of the mix can then be set to drop a couple of dbs thus ducking out of the way of the vocal signal and slowing it to punch through the mix......sorry getting a bit off topic from frequencies ....but i thought it might be usefulll info to someone.
kimbo Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #27
kimbo
Miembro
Publicaciones: 292
Registrado: 8 abr 2014
ps..."sound on sound" magazine on the web is a good source of info about tech and how to use it... think the guys name is paul white ...he's really understandable.
mpointon Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #28
mpointon
Miembro
Publicaciones: 522
Registrado: 27 feb 2015
kimbo wrote:
ps..."sound on sound" magazine on the web is a good source of info about tech and how to use it... think the guys name is paul white ...he's really understandable.


Thanks, K. Sound On Sound is published just down the road from me in Bar Hill! I've used their excellent articles on recording drums in the past! I just need to sit down and work through how it's done in Reaper!
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visitar Tienda
kimbo Publicado el 23 ene 2017 #29
kimbo
Miembro
Publicaciones: 292
Registrado: 8 abr 2014
Sorry mr p....can't help there. I use Logic Pro x
Las sesiones de jam en línea de wikiloops son posibles con el amable apoyo de:
user profile image
My guitar sat in a corner. Then I discovered wikiloops and now, not one day has gone by that I haven't played it.
Psycho

wikiloops usa Cookies y procesa datos en cumplimiento con el GDPR,
como se indica en nuestra política de privacidad de datos.